Three folks within the Northeast just lately died from a uncommon, “flesh-eating” bacterial an infection, well being officers have warned.
The an infection is brought on by a bacterium known as Vibrio vulnificus, which lives in coastal saltwater and brackish water, which means a mixture of salt and freshwater. The microbe and its cousins within the Vibrio genus are most prevalent in such environments between Might and October. Folks may be uncovered to the micro organism after they swim with open wounds or after they eat uncooked or undercooked shellfish, together with oysters. Wounds may turn out to be contaminated if uncovered to uncooked or undercooked seafood, its juices or its drippings, in line with the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC).